Sunday, October 7, 2007

Our little ladybug


Eric and I are really looking forward to Halloween this year. After all it will be one year ago that we officially adopted Olivia. What an amazing day that was. I still can't believe it was a year ago. In some ways it seems so long ago and in other ways it's like it was just yesterday.


I remember Halloween back in 2004 when we had just started the adoption process. Eric and I were sitting on the porch talking about how the next Halloween Olivia would be home with us and how much fun it would be to dress her up. We wondered what she would be, how old she would be and what she would look like. Fast forward to Halloween 2005. This was one of the hardest days for me, I remember the process had taken much longer then we had anticipated and I was just so sad. I didn't want to even go outside to hand out candy (very unusual for me). It began the hardest few months of our lives, another Thanksgiving without our daughter, another Christmas, birthdays etc. Fast forward again to Halloween 2006, Eric and I were in China we had met Olivia the previous day and were officially going to adopt her, on Halloween! How wonderful! I remember going to the social welfare office in Hunan and promising to love, and take care of this little girl. Our lives forever changed, it was a magical moment. Now Eric and I look forward to our first Halloween with Olivia in the United States.