Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Gotcha Day Olivia!






On October 30, 2006 we left our hotel room in Hunan, China took a bus to the Social Service Office and waited for what seemed like hours but was only about 20 minutes for Lin our guide to tell us that our girls were in the building and on their way upstairs. Olivia was the second baby who was brought into the room. She was wearing the tiger outfit and had a big spider bite on her head. She had tears in her eyes. I was so nervous, and excited at the same time. Eric and I walked up to hold our daughter for the first time. A moment I will never forget. It seems like that moment was just yesterday. That moment will be etched in my mind and heart forever. I remember what she looked like, how she smelled and how it felt to hold my daughter in my arms for the first time. I remember handing her to Eric, she cried and within a few minutes she was fast asleep in her daddy's arms. Those first few minutes began a new chapter in our lives. I never knew I could feel love like that. Olivia and Owen have changed our lives in a way I can't even describe in words.
It's so starnge to me that Olivia has only been apart of our lives for 2 years. I can't imagine what life was like without her. She truly is a wonderful daughter, sister and little girl. She has grown so much in the past few months that Eric and I both catch ourselves doing a double take. She is now potty trained (knock on wood), she isn't as shy as she was in the past and she loves to talk. Eric and I are so proud of her and so honored to be her parents.

On October 31st Luo, Wei became Olivia Jane-Wei Schmick. After 24 hours of being with us as a "foster child" we officially adopted her.

We still think about her "Chinese mommy and daddy" and hope and pray that they know how greatful we are to them for the gift of Olivia. We hope and pray they know that Olivia is loved.

We love you Olivia!!